We picked about 5lbs of carrots yesterday,
We mixed up various types and colors. We’ve harvested one bed out of the row gardens and are leaving the second bed to go to seed. I’m sure the mixed genetics will be vigorous. They’re already doing pretty well – especially the purple ones.
Having actual soil instead of sandy grit has made quite a difference. Things grow properly here, with less pest issues, less diseases, more vigor and much better yields.
Unrelated to carrots, we are selling some items this weekend to clear out unneeded stuff from the house.
There was an unused wardrobe against one of the walls in the main hallway which we’ve taken out and have now replaced with a bookshelf.
We made that shelf from pallet wood and some scrap plywood. It was sitting in the study; however, we are building some bookshelves into the wall there, so we’ve moved it out in order to commence construction.
To complete this corner, all we need is a plant in that pot on the right. Maybe mother-in-law tongue. That would look cool.
Incidentally, on the lower right of the bookshelf there is a set of 7 red, white and blue volumes. That is my set of Gibbon’s History of the Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire. Book eight is on my bedside table and I’m half-way through it.
Getting rid of my smartphone was one of the best choices I made last year. Now I actually have time to read, instead of distracting myself reading the news.
Today we’re moving more furniture out to be sold, as well as getting some work done in the nursery.
This Saturday we’ll have our third plant sale at the Atmore Flea Market – our booth will be open from 8AM to 1PM. Maybe we’ll see you there!