Peter Dilley shares his success in crossing collards in order to create a landrace variety:
Creating Landrace Collards
Approximately 22 different “named retail store seed packets” went into the initial breeding of these landrace collards.
They have received:
1. The same exact start date
2. Grew in the same exact 1020 tray
3. Grew under the same exact grow lights over winter waiting for Spring.
4. Hardened off outside in the same exact 1020 tray
5. Transplanted into the same exact grown in adjacent rows.
6. Given the exact same watering schelde, or lack thereof
7. Given the exact same fertilizer, or lack thereof
8. Given the same exact Sun exposure and accumulated the same total of degrees F of sunlight.
9. Given the same exact number of Sprays of the same exact sprayer mix of organic caterpillar pesticide (Spinosad)
10. Photographed on the same exact day.